Monday 21 March 2011

QAL progress

Well so far I'm going along quite nicely with the QAL. I'm really pleased with the purple fabrics I ordered from M is for Make and Seamstar. As an added bonus the scrap pack I ordered from M is for Make contained a piece of Alexander Hendry Farmdale Blossom in turquoise which fits in perfectly with the colour scheme yey!



So the blades are all cut out and I've been a good girl and sewn a trial version of the dresden as Lynne suggested. I've used some cream quilting cotton ordered in error before I bought my Kona Cotton colour chart. No idea what I'll do with it as it's a yellow-ish white, yuk! Anyway the idea behind doing a trial run is so that you can work out the diameters of the centre and and the outer edges before cutting out the background and centre pieces. Now I used my quilting foot which has a guide to make sure you end up with 1/4" seams but my finished measurements are off. 



Bo hoo what to do? Well I'll be following Lynne's instructions on how to resolve this and hopefully it'll all work out.  Thinking about it I was guilty of trimming a teeny tiny bit off the template a few times as I was cutting so adding that up over 21 blades it probably does account for quite a lot.



There are loads of great looking dresdens appearing in the flickr group if you want some inspiration. I'm off to remeasure just incase the dimensions have magically changed since I started typing this, don't fancy my chances much ;)

Bye for now

Nikki

6 comments:

pingsandneedles said...

ha ha Nikki ... I keep going back to mine and re-measuring too, just in case the millimetre fairy's been :)

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Don't worry about the circle being too small - maybe mine was too big! As soon as I get a moment to put the instructions together, there will be lots of suggestions on how to make it all work - the templates can easily be shrunk :-)

Leanne said...

Your fabrics are wonderful!

Sewquine said...

I might have another go at mine with the iron as it's not lying totally flat, that might help maybe. Of course this is just the trial run so the real thing will no doubt come out a different size again!

sewquine said...

I've just read your instructions for adjusting the templates, great stuff! I might just have to engage my brain for this which is no bad thing :) thanks for this QAL I'm really enjoying it.

sewquine said...

Thanks, I can't wait to get them sewn together.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...