Thursday 17 January 2013

Block of the Month Clubs

I really like the idea of Block of the Month clubs, as surely with only one block do each month I could manage to keep up. While trawling the internet I came across the Lucky Stars BOM being offered by Elizabeth of Don't Call Me Betsy. It's a brilliant combination of stars and paper piecing, it took me a whole 30 seconds to decide to sign up.




The BOM started with a practise block which I have to admit I didn't get round to oops - blinding start eh! However not to worry, on to January's block. I had already bought a not insubstantial bundle of fabric in the sale - yay for Christmas money :) which is destined for a giant star quilt (more on that another day) so this BOM quilt needs to be made from stash fabric. So this is what I pulled for the first block with no real long term plan for the whole quilt I'll be working it out as I go along. The scrappytripalong quilt is going to be very bright so I think in reaction to that I've gone muted on this one.


jan-wip


In the past in my vast knowledge of paper piecing (aye 1.5 projects lol!) I've just cut fabric pieces as I've needed them but Elizabeth gives you a chart so you can pre cut pieces for each section. I tried this out and it did make the block very quick to make as everything was ready to go. I managed to stuff up the corners in a couple of pieces, obviously didn't line up my pieces properly but I'm not going to stress about it. I'm sure I'll manage to cover them up when it comes to sewing all the blocks together.

jan-lucky-stars

I'm also going to do the Sisters 10 BOM by AnneMarie of gen X quilters and again this is going to be using stash fabric. I bought a bundle of Flea Market Fancy a good while ago but still hadn't figured out what to do with it until now. What's even better is this is a free BOM so I can feel very virtuous, a free BOM and using stash fabric - excellent! :) I can't feel to smug yet though as I've not made the January blocks yet.





So that's me totally over committed with 2 BOMs and the FAL list too, better go and get some cutting and stitching done.

So what about you have you signed up for any Block of the Month clubs this year?

Bye for now
  post signature

7 comments:

Canadian Abroad said...

I'm impressed with the paper piecing stars. I just put my head in the sand and pretend that none of that sort of thing is happening.

Sarah said...

I might give the stars a go actually, I absolutely love your fabric picks for yours!

Crafted by Carly said...

Gorgeous! I always look forward to seeing what you've been working on!
Carly
x

Indianna said...

You are going to be busy! Lovely fabric too

Toni said...

Your star looks fabulous! I've signed up for the Lucky Stars, too, though I haven't started yet. I'm also doing the Sugar Block Club with Amy Gibson and I think I'll be doing the Sisters' Ten one as well. I agree that BOMs seem much more like something I can keep up with right now!

Katy Cameron said...

Lol, get sewing! I've only signed up for the one I'm running, not sure that counts ;o)

Holli said...

Indianna sent me over for a visit. I love the fabrics you've chosen for your Lucky Stars January BOM. Like you, I haven't really decided what fabrics I'm using though I made both the practice and the January blocks. I am also doing the Riley Blake BOM (haven't started yet); Pretty in Patchwork (I printed my patterns and have my fabric but no cutting yet); Woodland Sampler (cross stitch - about half done with January). I joined the Sugar Block Club but haven't done anything beyond joining. All the best!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...