Tuesday 27 September 2011

fabric and thread - mmm nice!

I thought I'd share with you my sewing related spoils from my birthday. First up is the fabric I bought on my trip to The Peacock and the Tortoise in Perth. It's a lovely shop with a really nice atmosphere and so far the best selection of fabrics I've found in a 'real life' shop. I shop almost exclusively on the internet for my fabrics which as we all know has it's pros and cons.

It was great to see Sherbet Pips and Amy Butler's Soul Blossoms however I didn't buy any of them, maybe next time. I came away with five fat quarters, the two solids are to be included in my Dead Simple QAL. The red dots and gingham are going to be staple fabrics in my stash as I think they're fab and will go well in so many projects.


fabric stash from TPTT


I've already made a star block with the red dots and gingham with the addition of some Alexander Henry Farmdale Blossom and Heath. It's more than likely going to be a mug rug. I made it just to try out making this block as I've admired it in many a blog post so thought it was time I had a go. I used the July Star Blocks tutorial on Cluck Cluck Sew if you fancy a go yourself.


star block

I also received some thread ( I know how geeky really) from my brother which I'm sure has helped me be more accurate with my piecing. It's Presencia Finca 60/3 which you'll find at The Cotton Patch and I think it's pretty good stuff. It's much finer than my usual thread and that seems (get it 'seams' - oh dear just ignore me it's getting late) to make all the difference as far as my piecing goes. Of course it may be all the tips you all kindly gave me during the giveaway and not the thread at all.

presencia

I've also got my final present on it's way to me and it might just have something to do with cutting fabric, can you guess what it might be? I know what you're thinking and you're pretty close.

So I really should go and do some sewing.

Bye for now, see you soon

post signature

4 comments:

Canadian Abroad said...

The fabrics are lovely. I need more red for my stash. Not enough of it out there! I love the way you combined fabrics in the star block. Lastly, happy belated birthday wishes.

Sew,ray,me said...

I'd say someone's got their Mojo back!

Those fabrics are lovely. What are the prices like at the shop in Perth? I rarely pay the prices for 'designer' fabrics...! (Typical Scot - I like a bargain!)

Crafted by Carly said...

Hi,
Wow - what lovely fat querters! The colours AND the patterns are just gorgeous!!! And your star is fab - you're SO clever!
Happy (belated) birthday!
Carly
x

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...